Sunday, November 15, 2009

Interview with Robert Tuchman, Author of The 100 Sporting Events You Must See Live



Today we are honored to have with us Robert Tuchman, Founder of TSE Sports & Entertainment and the author of Young Guns: The Fearless Entrepreneur’s Guide to Chasing Your Dreams and Breaking Out on Your Own and The 100 Sporting Events You Must See Live. We’ll talk to Robert about these books and how he has turned a love of sports into a career.

Welcome to The Book Connection, Robert. It’s wonderful to have you with us. Can you please start us off by telling our readers a bit about yourself?


Sure! I founded TSE Sports and Entertainment in 1996 out of my one-bedroom apartment and have had the pleasure of watching the company grow to what it is today. Throughout the years I have been lucky enough to travel to hundreds of different sporting events in countless cities and now want to share what I have learned.

How long have you been a sports fanatic?

As long as I can remember I have loved sports. I would trade almost any of these experiences to see the New York Jets play in a superbowl!

Based upon your book The 100 Sporting Events You Must See Live it seems you live, eat and breathe all sports, but your photograph on Young Guns shows you holding a football. Is that your favorite sport? Do you have a favorite team?

I have an affinity for all sports but if you are going to twist my arm, then yes, football is probably my overall favorite to watch these days. I love to play basketball, baseball, tennis, and I also do a lot of running. As far as the second part of that question I have been obsessed with the J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS since the late seventies!


Our friends have already read The Book Connection’s review of The 100 Sporting Events You Must See Live, but why don’t you tell us about it in your own words.

100 Sporting Events You Must See Live is a collection of my experiences at various sporting events. It really is my bucket list of events I want to see in my lifetime. The book is really more of a guide since I also give information on hotels, tickets, and everything you need to take one of these trips.

What inspired you to write this book?

I’m tired of all my friends telling me that with HD TV they never have to get off the couch to go to sporting events. You end up missing all the good stuff.

How did you decide which events to include in The 100 Sporting Events You Must See Live?

I thought long and hard about the events I’ve been to, the cities I’ve visited, and the experiences I had and then started listing them. I talked to many people all over the world and listened a lot.

Can you list three of the less well-known events people will find in your book?

Iditarod which is a dog race in Ankorage, Alaska.

The Little 500 which takes place at Indiana University in the Spring.

The Head Of The Charles Regatta which is a boating race in Cambridge, MA.

This is more related to Young Guns but how did you go about creating a business that is so much in tune with your passion for and love of sports?

After working for a company like Lehman Brothers and then Sports Profiles which sold advertising and seeing how much the perks such as tickets to sporting events were valued to customers, I knew that there was a market and an opportunity. This was my chance to get into the sports business. I always knew I needed to do something I loved to be happy.

Where can readers purchase copies of The 100 Sporting Events You Must See Live?

Major bookstores and online or go to my website at www.100sportsevents.com.

Do you have a website and/or blog where readers can find out more?

100sportingevents.com and http://twitter.com/100SportEvents.

What is up next for you?

The 100 Greatest Rivalries of all Time.

Interviewer's note: I'm hoping the Montreal Canadiens versus the Boston Bruins will be in that book!

Is there anything you would like to add?

Yes thank you for the interview.

Thank you for spending time with us today, Robert. We wish you continued success.

To see where Robert's virtual book tour stops next, visit http://virtualbooktours.wordpress.com/.

No comments: