Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Book Review: My Dearest Friend by Hazel Statham

A superb Regency romance awaits you in My Dearest Friend by Hazel Statham.

Robert Blake, Duke of Lear, is filled with guilt and grief over the death of his younger brother, Stefan, in the Peninsular War. When Jane Chandler appeals to the Duke for help in bringing her gravely wounded brother home from Portugal, Robert insists upon joining Jane on the trip.

Little does he know how quickly their friendship will develop into love.

Their young love is soon put to the test by a treacherous tenant of Jane's former home, who fans the flames of jealousy that ignite Robert's intense emotions.

Can their love conquer the emotions that threaten to tear them apart?

What a fascinating conclusion to the Dukes of Lear trilogy! In My Dearest Friend, Statham has done what she knows how to do best: create characters you care about and wish to see conquer all in the name of love.

Robert is not only coping with the loss of his younger brother. This man of intense emotions was also once done wrong by a member of the fairer sex, making him certain not to be played the fool again. He does not expect to be drawn to Jane so deeply, but he won't let his love blind him. Jane is an independent, strong heroine, who is determined to succeed in her mission, despite the many obstacles that stand in her way. She is surprised by the level of assistance the Duke provides, but is thankful to have him along. When a former tenant creates problems between her and Robert, she's determined to be loyal to the man she loves.

My Dearest Friend is such a sweet romance. There are passionate moments, but the door is closed before things get too far, leaving the reader to explore the possibilities within her imagination. Statham has been steadfast in keeping her romances clean so that they my be enjoyed by a wide audience. I appreciate that about her work, knowing I don't have to be afraid to share her books with others.

Each book of this trilogy--Consequence, Dominic, and My Dearest Friend--is a perfect stand alone. They don't have to be read in order. I have only read two of the three. The remaining one (Dominic) is on my Kindle crying for my attention. I can't wait to read it. Regency romance lovers will definitely enjoy My Dearest Friend.

Title: My Dearest Friend
Author:  Hazel Statham
Publisher Write Words, Inc.
ASIN: B0053QW8TM

SRP:  $6.50

Will be available in paperback in November 2011.

The author paid me to promote this book through a virtual book tour with Pump Up Your Book. That fee did not include a review. This review contains my honest opinions, for which I received no monetary compensation.

2 comments:

Hazel said...

Thank you so much for such a lovely review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed Robert and Jane's story. I do hope you like Dominic and Sophie's story too. I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Hazel

Cheryl said...

Thanks for stopping by Hazel. I'm sure I'll love Dominic too.