Friday, September 9, 2011

Interview with Carole Eglash-Kosoff, Author of The Human Spirit: Apartheid's Unheralded Heroes

Joining us today is Carole Eglash-Kosoff, author of The Human Spirit. Carole lives and writes in Valley Village, California. She graduated from UCLA and spent her career in business and in teaching. In 2006 her husband, mother, and brother died within a month of one another, causing her to reevaluate her life. She volunteered to work with the American Jewish World Service and was sent to South Africa to teach. She returned there a year later, having met an amazing array of men and women who had devoted their lives during the worst years of apartheid to helping the children, the elderly, and the disabled of the townships. They are apartheid’s unheralded heroes and The Human Spirit is their story. Carole has also completed a historic fiction novel, a pre- and post- Civil War interracial love story set in Louisiana, When Stars Align

Welcome to The Book Connection, Carole. It's a pleasure to have you with us.

Where did you grow up?

Southern California, attended UCLA.

When did you begin writing?

I wrote a great deal before I met my husband, but I didn’t write much during the 20+ years we were together. Since he died five years ago I’ve published 2 books and I’m finishing a third.

What is this book about?

This book tells the story of  those who have spent their adult lives making South Africa a better place for those who were the country’s most disadvantaged.

What inspired you to write it?

Five years ago when I lost my husband, mother, and brother within thirty days of one another, I thought my life was over. After a few months of trying to understand what my life going forward should look like I determined to do something positive. I volunteered to teach business principles to charities in the black townships of South Africa. I was there for three months and met some amazing men and women. We agreed I would return the following year to write a book about them. The Human Spirit is that book.


Do you have an agent or are you looking for one?
I had one for more than a year but he couldn’t find a publisher. I would always prefer to have an agent.
Where can readers purchase a copy of your book?

Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Author House.

Do you have a website and/or blog where readers can find out more?

The Human Spirit – Apartheid’s Unheralded Heroes has a website at: www.thehumanspirit-thebook.com

What is the best investment you have made in promoting your book?

Virtual Book Tours

What is up next for you?

I am finishing the sequel to When Stars Align that carries the characters and their offspring through WW I.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting interview. I wish Carole much success with her book.