Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Interview with John Podgursky, Author of The One Percenters



Joining us today is John Podgursky, author of The One Percenters.

John lives in Brooklyn. He’s spent the last 15 years traveling the U.S. of A., trying to make sense of it all. He’s still confused, but sleeps well at night knowing that nobody else knows any better, and in the end
we’re just going to die anyway.

Welcome to The Book Connection, John. Can you tell us where did you grow up?

I was raised on Long Island, but I have the travel bug. At one point, I lived in 8 states in 13 years.

When did you begin writing?

I won $5 in a writing contest in first grade. I wrote about a magical zebra. It was a very inspiring moment in my life!

Do you write during the day, at night or whenever you can sneak a few moments?

I need my writing environment to be eerie. Nighttime by candlelight. I can't write in a cafe.

What is this book about?

Edward Caine survives his beloved wife, the seventh victim of a cunning serial killer. During the grieving process, he notes that modern medicine and distorted economics have skewed survival odds within society. Survival of the fittest has become defunct, with the weak and weak-minded allowed to pass on their genes, provided they are suitably funded. Edward is predestined to become a one-percenter, an agent of nature given the job of eliminating the weaker persons from society. He learns that his task requires the discipline to discern between the people he wishes would die and those who should. The One Percenters is reflective in nature, and challenges the social and religious differences among all of us.

What inspired you to write it?

I studied anthropology in college. I'm always considering what makes us tick, especially our base qualities, and what defines sanity and intelligence. I like to look at humans as primal creatures, and one day the story just popped.

Who is your favorite author?

I've read all of King's work, but Bill Watterson has also been a huge influence. In the writing of "Calvin & Hobbes," he injects profundity into a "simple" medium. He is, in my eyes, brilliant.

Do you have an agent or are you looking for one?

I have decided to get one for my next novel, now that I know a bit about the process.

Was the road to publication smooth sailing or a bumpy ride?

I worked on it for two weeks a year for eight years-- whenever I felt renewed for the challenge.

Where can readers purchase a copy of your book?

You can buy it in paperback at amazon or bn.com, or as an e-book at: http://www.damnationbooks.com/book.php?isbn=9781615720132

Do you have a website and/or blog where readers can find out more?

Unfortunately I am a Luddite, but I welcome e-mail at flyinthewater@gmail.com.

What is up next for you?

I am constantly writing short stories, and now I'm toying with a new novel.

Is there anything you would like to add?

The next time you see someone in trouble, offer your help. It could be ME that's in trouble. And I'll do the same. You never know in what awful place you might find yourself tomorrow. Peace!

Thanks for spending time with us today, John. We wish you the best.

No comments: