Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Interview with Richard Blunt, Author of Lucas Trent: Guardian in Magic


Joining us today is Richard Blunt, author of the fantasy novel, Lucas Trent: Guardian in Magic. Richard is currently working on his second book in the Lucas Trent series.

Welcome to The Book Connection, Richard. It's great to have you here. Can you please tell us a bit about yourself?


I am a regular Austrian guy in his thirties. I like the fantasy genre, no matter if it’s books, movies, tv-shows or games.

Where did you grow up?

A little town in Austria, close to the capital city of Vienna.

What is your fondest childhood memory?

The day I got my acceptance letter to a school I went to. (Something like college in the US) It was the day I knew that I could make my greatest hobby a profession.

When did you begin writing?

2008. But I stopped after a short while and only restarted late 2009. Glad I did though…

Do you write during the day, at night or whenever you can sneak a few moments?

I write when I feel about writing. Sometimes I don’t leave my PC for the whole day, sometimes I don’t write for weeks or months.

What is this book about?

It is actually the first part of a series. It tells the story about a teenager that stumbles from a quite normal life into a wonderful world of mystery, conspiracy and magic, that had always been right before his eyes, hidden in plain sight. It tells a story about friendship and trust, and about the fact that things are not always as simple as they appear to be.

What inspired you to write it?

I love fantasy stories and this one has been in my mind for quite a while. At some point it had to come out *grin*


Who is your biggest supporter?

My girlfriend. She sort of keeps me together.

Are you a member of a critique group? If no, who provides feedback on your work?

No. I get my critiques only from people I personally know, or later on from professional reviewers.

Who is your favorite author?

There is no single one in particular. Maybe Agatha Christie.

Do you have an agent or are you looking for one?
No I don’t have one. And I am not looking for one right now. Should I?

Was the road to publication smooth sailing or a bumpy ride?

It started out as a mudhole, taking quite some effort to get going, but once you are in motion it’s quite ok.

If you knew then, what you know now, is there anything you would have done differently?

I would most likely have avoided some time consuming mistakes, but other than taking up some time no harm was done, so maybe not.

Where can readers purchase a copy of your book?

Almost everywhere it seems. Amazon seems a good place to start, or Barnes & Noble.

Do you have a website and/or blog where readers can find out more?

Yes, my websites address is http://www.lucastrent.com/.  The link to my blog is on the site.

Do you have a video trailer to promote your book? If yes, where can readers find it?

It will be on my website by the time this interview goes on air.
What is the best investment you have made in promoting your book?

Going on the virtual book tour. It was/is much work, but it’s worth it.

What is one piece of advice you would like to share with aspiring authors everywhere?

Stay true to yourself and don’t give up. It might be a bumpy ride, but offroading is bumpy as well, and it can be quite much fun.

What is up next for you?

Writing the sequel to “Guardian in Magic.”

Thanks for spending time with us today, Richard. We wish you much success.

Visit Richard on Twitter at www.twitter.com/lucas_trent and Facebook at www.facebook.com/people/richard-blunt.

1 comment:

V.R. Leavitt said...

Oohh!! This sounds really wonderful! I am always looking for new fantasy to read. Great interview, Cheryl and Richard.
-Vanessa