Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Interview with Scarlett Archer, Author of 1001 First Lines

Scarlett Rugers (writing as Scarlett Archer) has just released a book 1001 First Lines which is now available at Amazon! You can purchase a paperback, .lit, .epub, .mobi and PDF versions here: http://www.1001firstlines.wordpress.com.

She has been writing for over fifteen years, completed over eleven novels, and her main drive is in speculative fiction or its contrasting opposite romantic comedic novels. She has a passion for studying the art of story telling and is a grand lover of movies. Her focus in work is book cover designs which enables her to put all her energy in to the area she loves most- literature.
You can visit her website at www.scarlettarcher.com.
Twitter: www.twitter.com/scarandthetwit
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Scarlett-Rugers-Design/186669264687668


Can you tell us a bit about yourself?  

I used to want to be a singer. Much to the chagrin of my sig-other I have high hopes to become a wealthy cat lady. I should have been in the movie business, considering how much I love films. Maybe when I’m 60 and I have 30 cats I’ll start applying to be a director, or producer. 

Where did you grow up?

Melbourne, Australia.

What is your fondest childhood memory?

As the purely materialistic person I am, it would be waking up to find a Barbie Caravan Santa dropped off for me for my 8th birthday.

When did you begin writing?

When I was eight, but more seriously when I was 13. Thanks to my primary school teacher who made it a class project to write our own stories, it might not have ever happened.


Do you write during the day, at night or whenever you can sneak a few moments?

As a business woman whenever I can get a moment! My workflow ebbs and flows so sometimes I have a lot of time- so I’ll spend the whole day writing. And other times I can’t write for a good three or four weeks!


What is this book about?


1001 First Lines is exactly as it sounds. Fourteen genres of the best, words, and un-pigeon-holable first lines.


What inspired you to write it?

I wanted to write a really good first line. That’s it. One of the best things I learned was if you want to be the best, do the world’s best practice. Experience the average, the worst, and the ones that can’t be pigeon holed. That’s how 1001 First Lines came about.

I wanted to compare different genres, not just display the best. Everyone can Google the best, there are multiple sites that’ll give that up. But what if you want to see the norm of your own genre? If you write chic lit, horror, or science fiction- what’s the standard opening line that so many others use?

Who is your biggest supporter?

My boyfriend, of course! Wouldn’t have come all this way without him.

Are you a member of a critique group? If no, who provides feedback on your work?


I don’t have a critique group- per say- but as a designer for self-published authors I’m friends with a lot of editors, copywriters, etc who are in the self-publishing business. So we get a lot of really positive feedback from each other!

Who is your favorite author?

Philip K Dick.

Do you have an agent or are you looking for one?


I considered seeking an agent but I enjoy the process of self-publication! There may be a time when I will consider an agent, when I’m closer to my next work being completed. Depends on the feedback I get from my beta readers!

Was the road to publication smooth sailing or a bumpy ride?

It was a bumpy ride- thanks to my impatience. Reference books are entirely different from fiction and non-fiction. There’s no opportunity to break out in narrative or enjoy the simple writing process. I got through it with small, tiny goals. But I just wanted to have it over with!


Where can readers purchase a copy of your book?

On Amazon- both paperback and Kindle versions. The paperback version comes with a list at the back of all the books listed under genre categories, so you can tick off what you’ve read as you go!

Do you have a website and/or blog where readers can find out more?

I run a blog for authors who want to be interviewed about their experiences and opinions about first lines: http://www.1001firstlines.wordpress.com


What is up next for you?

The first is Oscar & Josephine, a love story about death. A quick fic novella about a brother and sister who, through desperation, end up cursed. They’re forced into immortality in their six-year-old and nineteen-year-old bodies. The story is how they cope through the decades, trying to adapt, doing what they can to kick start their aging once again. This will be published between July-September 2012.

The second is a dark retelling of The Wizard of Oz, in a modern environment, which involves organ transplants, dirty alleys and a Guy Richie/Quentin Tarantino-style narrative. I’m aiming for this to be ready for publication by 2014.

No comments: