Monday, September 17, 2012

First Chapter Review: Rings of Paradise by Maxine Douglas


I downloaded a free Kindle version of this book a while back. I thought it was time to read some contemporary romance, and the unique plot of this novel caught my eye.


BLURB: Dear Reader,

I’m not much on putting words to paper, action is more up my alley. I’m Flame, the reigning champion in the Universal Wrestling World (UWW). So why am I here?

I grew up in a wrestling family and cut my teeth on the squared circle, which by the way is the only “lady” I trust any more.

I’ve gone and bought out a small press magazine in Madison, Wisconsin that was going nowhere fast, hired a woman by the name of Khristen Roberts, who according to the editor-in-chief is untrained and wants nothing more than to be a journalist.

Okay, I’m a sucker in helping people out, it’s my one weakness, if I have any. Problem is she’s on vacation in Hawaii. I’ve got to catch up with her somewhere along the line for her to join up with me and the UWW. I just hope Khristen is up for the ride…it’s always a trip.

Yours truly,

The Flame

COVER: Sizzling! The cover alone is enough to make you want to pick up a copy of the book.

FIRST CHAPTER: Khristen Roberts is boarding a plane to Hawaii for a long overdue vacation. She finds a man boldly sprawled across her seat and politely asks him to move. When he doesn't seem eager to comply, she takes matters into her own hands. She's angry, but she can't help notice how her body reacts as she secretly inspects the man next to her.

Shadoe has a hard time not laughing at the feisty woman sitting next to him on the plane. It's the first time in years a woman didn't recognize him. He longs for something more than being on the road, but his duty keeps him bound. When he discovers who the woman really is, he knows he has to keep track of her so that he can be sure the public learns what the life of a professional wrestler is really like.

KEEP READING: I'm already on Chapter Eight, if that tells you anything. Like I mentioned at the beginning of the post, the unique plot of this novel caught my eye. In the Prologue, we meet a well-connected professional wrestler who buys a small press magazine with the hope of informing the public about the real life of professional wrestling. He tells the editor-in-chief that he wants an untrained employee eager for a first story to help him with his cause. The guy has the right person for the job, but she's off on a well-deserved vacation.

In the first chapter, the wrestler gets to meet his would-be journalist. It doesn't go smoothly, but since he doesn't know who she is at the beginning, he just enjoys the challenge. Author Maxine Douglas has managed to create in Shadoe, a guy who can be a bit of a jerk, but still likeable.

Just as much attention is paid to Khristen's character. She's been hurt before, and she's not about to become any Romeo's plaything. Douglas has created a romantic pair that is fun and infuriating. It's a great mix.

While an airplane and an airport are not exactly romantic settings, Douglas makes it work as a great place for these engaging characters to meet up.

I'm really enjoying this one!


  • File Size: 280 KB
  • Print Length: 152 pages
  • Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
  • Publisher: MuseItUp Publishing (August 22, 2012)
  • Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
  • Language: English
  • ASIN: B0091H7KDS
  • Current Price: $5.50


  • I downloaded a free Kindle version of this book. This review contains my honest opinions for which I have received no monetary compensation. A full review of this book  may follow at a later date.

    No comments: