Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Things On My Reading Wishlist


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week they will post a new Top Ten list that one of the bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All they ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top Ten Things On My Reading Wishlist

  1. More alternative history stories. I don't read a ton of them, but I enjoy them. What if the South won the Civil War? What if the British squashed the Colonist rebellion? What if Germany won WWII? All frightening thoughts, but interesting stories.
  2. Fiction featuring stay-at-home moms as main characters. Maybe a cozy mystery featuring a stay-at-home mom or any genre that lightly or even in depth deals with the issues facing these women today. 
  3. More Rock 'n' Roll stories. The few I've read have been great. I'm a child who grew up in the 70s and 80s, so I would prefer it set during those decades.
  4. More empowering fiction for children. Though it doesn't seem to be what they want to read, I'm still holding out hope that there are books out there or destined to be written that will empower kids without preaching too much.
  5. More fiction for children that doesn't feature fractured families. I know there are a lot of fractured families out there, but is it a sin to write a novel for young people where the parents are happily married and supportive of their kids? The parents can't be blithering idiots either.
  6. More fiction set during the Reconstruction Era. This is a fascinating, yet troubling time, in our history. Many books are set prior to or during the Civil War, but I would like to see more fiction set during these years, and also novels shedding light on the plight of African Americans after they were freed.
  7. Fiction or nonfiction featuring road trips. I'm not much of a traveler, though I wish I could afford to travel more than I do. I read My Life As Laura by Kelly Kathleen Ferguson and The Wilder Life by Wendy McClure. Both feature trips to the Laura Ingalls Wilder sites they knew about from their childhood. I've also read a mystery featuring two amateur sleuths traveling in an RV. 
  8. Humorous zombie stories. Does this surprise you? It does me. I've read one zombie story. Just one. But it was so funny, I would love to read more. I don't want gore and horror; but humor is fine.
  9. Romance during the Gold Rush. This was not a nice period in American history either. But what if two young adults met and fell in love, but wanted out of the whole panning for gold thing? What if their families tried to prevent it? What if they managed to escape anyway?
  10. More suspense books by Doug Hewitt. Hewitt wrote one of my favorite books: The Dead Guy. It's a book about insurance fraud, and a guy named Jack, who discovers he has an untreatable, debilitating illness. When Jack's best friend, Hal, is murdered, he vows to track down Hal's killer. While Hewitt has continued to write, he's writing science-fiction or nonfiction these days. Another suspense novel must be in that pen somewhere.
What is on your reading wishlist?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, we need more alternative history, I love books like that but there needs to be so many more of them.

Missie said...

Humor zombie stories would be fun!
Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

Cheryl said...

Thanks for visiting. I'm glad you stopped by.