Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Interview with R. Lawson, Author of The CIA International Thriller Series

R. Lawson is a retired vascular surgeon and served as a captain in the United States Air Force as a flight surgeon. With over 120 academic works under his belt, he moved into the fiction genre and began writing thrillers with a focus on terrorism, cyber spying, national security and more.

He hopes that you enjoy his CIA International Intrigue series featuring Biff Roberts, veteran CIA agent, as he travels the globe thwarting threats to the United States and its allies.

His latest books are Existential Threats and The Carrington Prophecy, Book 4 & 5 in The CIA International Thriller series.

For More Information

Where did you grow up?

I grew up in small towns around the Chesapeake Bay area.

What is your fondest childhood memory?

I have a few - My bird dog, Jeannie, and my Boston Terrier, Toby. Going to baseball games with my dad and hunting and fishing with my Uncle Marvin.

When did you begin writing?

I began writing academic works in the 1960's and published 120 works over a forty year span. I started writing fiction in 2012 after I retired as a Clinical Professor of Surgery. I have published five novels since then with two more pending in 2016.

Do you write during the day, at night or whenever you can sneak a few moments?

The majority of my writing occurs in early morning when my thoughts are fresh.

What is this book about?

The two latest novels I'm promoting were published in 2015- Existential Threats and The Carrington Prophecy. The first deals with the global threat of radical Islamic jihad and the CIA's and allied agencies’ efforts to stem the tide of terror. The second is about a threat of a surprise EMP (electromagnetic pulse) attack from North Korea knocking out our power grid, pitching the United States into a dark age and leaving the country vulnerable to a conventional attack.

In view of recent events reported in the news, both of these scenario are conceivable and pose real terror threats. The protagonist in each novel is Biff Roberts, the CIA's counterterrorism (CT) director. The fast-paced action covers several continents leading to a thrilling conclusion in both stories.

What inspired you to write it?

The alarming daily events, basically- The tragic global trends, conflicts worldwide and heinous atrocities. We live in a dangerous world with a lot of people who want to kill us and destroy what the United States stands for. This is what I write about - dramatizing stories regarding contemporary threats. I'm imaginative, but I can't make all this up. Real-time events can make thrilling stories if told in a convincing manner, taking the readers to foreign destinations with protagonists they come to identify with and root for as they fight the adversary and thwart the threat.

Who is your favorite author?

I really like to read Clancy/Greaney for techno-thrillers. I enjoy reading Flynn and Baldacci for pace. And for unique story lines? Langercrantz, Larsson, Silva and Higgins.

Do you have an agent or are you looking for one?

I would love to have an agent, but for the time being have self-published to get my novels out there.

Was the road to publication smooth sailing or a bumpy ride?

I am fortunate to be part of the Amazon White Glove program. Being involved with Amazon White Glove makes what could be a really challenging process pretty seamless.

Where can readers purchase a copy of your book?

You can find all of my novels on Amazon in Kindle and POD formats. (http://www.amazon.com/R.-Lawson/e/B00FL2ENQE)

Do you have a website and/or blog where readers can find out more?

Yes, I do. More information about the novels and purchase links are on my website, www.RLawsonAuthor.com. And, my blog can be found at http://rlawsonauthor.com/category/blog/.

What is one piece of advice you would like to share with aspiring authors everywhere?

Don't give up. Keep writing, reading and improving.

What is up next for you?

I hope to publish two new novels in 2016. The first is Recall, a fictional historical narrative about Vietnam and the aftermath in San Francisco in the 1960’s. This is a little different from my previous five novels and has been a fun challenge to take on. Then, I'm back to thrillers with Zachor, set in Israel and Palestine. I'm five chapters into it so far.


No comments: