Monday, April 11, 2016

Interview with Anita Hughes, Author of Island in the Sea

ANITA HUGHES is the author of, Island in the Sea, Rome in Love, French Coast, Lake Como, Monarch Beach and Market Street. She attended UC Berkeley's Masters in Creative Writing Program, and has taught Creative Writing at The Branson School in Ross, California. Hughes lives with her family in Dana Point, California, where she is at work on her next novel.




Where did you grow up?

I grew up in Sydney, Australia.

When did you begin writing?

I won a writing contest in THE AUSTRALIAN, Australia’s only national newspaper when I was eight years old. The headline read “Australia’s Next Great Writers.” I still have the newspaper clipping. I even won twenty-five dollars – which I immediately spent on a pair of shoes.

Do you write during the day, at night or whenever you can sneak a few moments?

I write all day until six o’clock. Then I treat myself to a cup of coffee and a few pages from whatever book I’m reading. I often revise at night.

What is this book about?

Island in the Sea is about a young female music executive who is sent to Majorca, Spain to make a middle-aged, tortured songwriter fulfill his contract.

What inspired you to write it?

I have always loved Majorca. It is a gorgeous island off the coast of Spain full of beautiful scenery and delicious foods. And I am fascinated by the way music affects our lives. We all can think of songs that have changed us in some ways.

Who is your favorite character from the book?

I admit I have a bit of a crush on Lionel, the failing songwriter. He is quite troubled but has a very dry wit.

Was the road to publication smooth sailing or a bumpy ride?

It was fairly smooth. I put writing aside for years to raise my family, but once I sat down to write a novel, I really enjoyed it. I was lucky enough to get an agent fairly quickly and for her to sell my first two books.

If you knew then, what you know now, is there anything you would have done differently?

I wouldn’t have done anything differently. I always think the most important thing is to be in love with what you are writing. Then hopefully, readers will be too!

Where can readers purchase a copy of your book?

Island in the Sea is available at all bookstores and online sites.

What is the best investment you have made in promoting your book?

The best investment I have made is with my time, going to events. I love connecting with bookstores and readers and I think it pays off.

What is one piece of advice you would like to share with aspiring authors everywhere?

Read as much as you can and write what inspires you.

What is up next for you?

My next novel, SANTORINI SUNSETS, will be released on August 2nd and my first holiday novel, CHRISTMAS IN PARIS, comes out on October 4th!

Is there anything you would like to add?


Thank you for having me on your wonderful site!

No comments: