Sunday, August 14, 2016

First Chapter Review: Spell Bound by Kelley Armstrong



I won an ARC of Kelley Armstrong's Spell Bound a few years ago. I'm packing up books to move my office downstairs, so I came across this one in my pile and thought I would browse through it.

BLURB:  Savannah Levine is in terrible danger, and for once she's powerless to help herself. At the heartbreaking conclusion of Waking the Witch, Savannah swore that she would give up her powers if it would prevent further pain for a young orphan. Little did she know that someone would take her up on that promise.

And now, witch-hunting assassins, necromancers, half-demons, and rogue witches all seem to be after her. The threat is not just for Savannah; every member of the Otherworld might be at risk. While most of her fellow supernaturals are circling the wagons at a gathering of the council in Miami, Savannah is caught on the road, isolated from those who can protect her and unable to use her vast spell-casting talent, the thing she counts on most. In a story that will change the shape of the Otherworld forever, Armstrong gathers Elena, Clay, Paige, Lucas, Jamie, Hope, and other beloved characters, who soon learn that the greatest threat to supernaturals just may come from within.

COVER: I love everything about this cover. The color scheme is great. The model is dressed appropriately for the character and the genre. Neat details and perfect font.

FIRST CHAPTER: Savannah finds herself unable to cast spells. In frustration, she leaves a sleeping Adam in their motel room and heads outside where she is surprised by an unwelcome distraction and totally vulnerable.

KEEP READING: Let me say for the record that this is not a typical genre I am drawn to these days. Maybe fifteen years ago, but not so much what I read now. This I really liked, though. You can tell by the cover she kicks butt. You hear it in her voice as the narrator of this first chapter too. Just like Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a superb heroine many moons ago, Savannah will be so now. I'm eager to read the rest of her story.


Series: Otherworld
Paperback: 400 pages
Publisher: Dutton; Reprint edition (June 26, 2012)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0452297990
ISBN-13: 978-0452297999


I received a copy of this book from the author. This first chapter review contains my honest opinions, which I have not been compensated for in any way.

No comments: